Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Key Notes.


Last week while still at school I was thinking about how I really want to be able to play Clocks by Coldplay on my keyboard. You may remember this from reading my bucket list. Before heading home Friday night for Easter, I stopped by the library and printed off the first page of sheet music.
I got home later that night, carried up my keyboard from the basement and started playing around on it. After becoming a little discouraged, because I really have no idea how to read sheet music or play the keyboard, I decided to label the music. Which made it much easier, though some may consider it cheating. Baby steps. 

For a little background:
 I got my keyboard for Christmas, sometime during my junior high years. I had never played an instrument, so reading music wasn't something i've ever learned how to do. Instead, I labeled both the keys and the sheet music in order to be able to play some very basic songs. I never really made it past Jingle Bells and Mary Had a Little Lamb. Though I must admit, I can play a pretty good Amazing Grace. Anyway, my keyboard eventually made its way into my closet and then into basement over the years.

So...
when I got the idea that I wanted to play it this past weekend I guess I didn't really think it through thoroughly. When I printed off the sheet music & at the top it read 'Clocks by Coldplay Level 4' that probably should have been a red flag that I was getting too ahead of myself. Instead, I still gave it a shot. At one point Saturday afternoon, my Mom asked me if the keyboard had a place where I could plug in my earphones so only I would be able to hear it....

BUT by Sunday I was getting kind of decent at it. My brother, my mom, and I were sitting in the living room and I had her go on Youtube and play the portion of the song that I had learned to play (mind you, this was only about 2 -3 lines) and then I played it on my keyboard. & in a very surprised tone she told me that I was getting pretty good at it!!

Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go (like 98% of the song) but at least I tried! Bucket lists aren't worth having unless you are going to actively pursue the items on it, right?!

Oh, andddd! my tri-lingual goal?! I am all signed up for a summer Spanish course! :)

Make your list happen,

xoxoKaila



No comments:

Post a Comment