Sunday, April 14, 2013

Catching Up With The Past.

About 30 minutes ago I got this gut feeling that I should check my AOL e-mail. I hadn't checked it in quite some time, but I decided to sign in to assure myself that it was just filled with a bunch of spam. As I was deleting all of my e-mails (since they were, of course, spam), I saw one that was from futureme.org. This sparked something in my memory, so I looked at the subject which was titled 'let your light shine bright'. It then dawned on me that this e-mail was from the past me.
2 years ago, I ran across this website, futureme.org, which let you write to a 'future you'. You got to pick the amount of time that you wanted to pass before they sent you your letter via e-mail. 
Have a look at what I wrote to today's me...


The following is an e-mail from the past, composed 1 year, 11 months and 30 days ago, on April 05, 2011. It is being delivered from the past through FutureMe.org

Dear FutureMe, 
Well about 2 years ago you were living the good life in California, do you regret leaving it now? Also, you were pretty head over heels for this one guy, how's that going, hopefully you've gotten over him?! 
Now you are probably getting ready to graduate in about another year, ready to join the big leagues. Do you still plan on moving back out to the city of angels? I hope so... 
I hope you're happy with whatever it is you are doing in life, all i want is for you to be happy. I hope you've learned to be yourself around everyone you meet, and i hope you spread happiness to others. 
I hope that you continue to pursue your dreams, like learning Spanish, finding a Mexican lover, saving the planet one plastic bottle at a time, and volunteering in your community. 
Always remember that you're loved by many people and you can do great things in life!


-------------
Wow. Reading something written by me to me, from 2 years ago...pretty mind blowing. To be honest, it was actually an extremely emotional experience for me. I bawled my eyes out & am still trying to compose myself. 

I don't even know where to begin with digesting this. It might not seem crazy to you, but to me this e-mail means quite a bit. I'm not even sure I understand it yet.,and i definitely don't know how to explain it.

Instead, for you readers, I'll write my answers to my questions. 

-First off, YES YES YES. I regret leaving 'the good life in California', of course I do. But it's something I didn't really have a ton of control over. My study program was a one year long program & I would have had to pay out of state tuition if I stayed, which is pretty expensive, so it wasn't really an option. But yes, I do miss my California days so so so much. I am grateful that I was able to have that experience; it will always hold a very special place in my heart. 

-The boy I was head over heels for?...well, he's not present in my life right now & I have faith that one day I will do just what it is that my past me wishes I would. 

-It actually won't be another year until I graduate, good news! I will be walking in May & officially be a college graduate in August. 

-I do hope to move back to the City of Angels, it's just a matter of time and money. 

-As for my dreams: well, I need to keeping pursuing those. This letter was a reminder that dreams never die as long as you don't lose sight of them. 


--For you guys reading this, if you have an e-mail address that you will have years from now, I encourage you to write yourself a letter. You never know how much you can truly learn about yourself through a handful of sentences written in the past. 

xoxo, 
Today's Me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment