Saturday, June 1, 2013

Family is Forever

Well even though my last post would lead you to believe something different, these past few weeks have been more than amazing. The bad news brought about great times and lifelong memories.

So, to back track, the morning after I graduated I came downstairs and was sitting in the family room when my Mom told me that my grandpa was diagnosed with Stage 4 Liver Cancer. The doctor said he has 3-6 months without treatment, and with treatment it would hopefully stretch it to about a year. She had found out the day before, but didn't want to say anything since it was supposed to be my 'big day'. My Dad's parents are the only living grandparents I have and they live in Arizona. They had planned a road trip to Illinois and they were going to stay for about 2.5 weeks with a stop in Arkansas on the way back. Since my Grandpa got diagnosed literally days before their trip was about to begin it made their plans change a bit. My Grandpa was determined to still come since it was going to be their last big trip to the Midwest anyway. Mind you, the majority of their children & grandchildren live in the Chicago suburbs & it was home to them their entire lives until about 11 years ago.

So, once the family received word of my Grandpa's diagnoses, my cousin Megan, from Seattle, flew out to Arizona to join in on the road trip to Illinois. My cousin Katie & her husband Justin traveled up from Arkansas for the long Memorial Day weekend to spend time with the family (my grandparents unfortunately had to cut Arkansas out of their road trip plans in order to get back to AZ for treatment).

So to make a long story short, I got to spend a lot of time over the past 1.5 weeks with my grandparents and my cousins that I rarely see. I couldn't have asked for a better time. The days were filled with laughter and love. We made so many irreplaceable memories that I will hold close to me for the rest of my life. This week showed me that when it comes down to it, family will always still be there in the end. Family is made up of the people that will give you some of the best times of your life. Whether we live far or close, see them often or barely ever, they will be there in a second, if need be.

Even though the reason we saw each other so much was because something terrible has happened, it just reinforces what I said above. Thankfully, we have tons of new pictures & closer relationships have developed. For me, I was never really close to any of my cousins. They either moved or were always older than me. I am so thankful to now be closer to my cousins just from this past week. Cousins are seriously one of the best things in life. They are friends, unlike any other.

On Wednesday me, my dad,and my brother headed out to West Chicago for dinner with the family for the last time of the trip since they were leaving early Thursday morning. It was really hard for me knowing that there was a very good chance that this was the last time I would see my Grandpa. I don't know how someone faces knowing that someone they love is dying. I have never been faced with this before. Just knowing that there is only months left of someone's precious life. I still haven't allowed it to hit me fully. Every time I start to think about it too much I just push it away before I end up a complete mess.

It's heartwarming to know that he has been able to live 82 years with nearly 60 of those married to my Grandma. They raised 7 children on my Grandpa's salary for many years and have made countless friends.

They have so much to be proud of, and they have blessed me with so many childhood memories that I will be forever grateful for.

Hold your family close,
xoxoKaila

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kaila sorry about the bad news. Glad to know you spent time with your family and are planning to go to AZ to see them . Overall family is first and last, always. Beautiful entry.

    ReplyDelete